Printable version Printable version with picture
- 4 granny smith, peeled and cut into ¼" dice (or any firm apples of your choice)
- 1 Tablespoon lemon juice, freshly squeezed
- 2 Tablespoon brown sugar
- 1/2 cup white sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon good cinnamon
- 1 dash nutmeg
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter, cut in small pieces
- 1 large egg
- 2 Tablespoons cream (35% or 18%)
- 1 package frozen puff pastry, thawed
- ice cream
- 1.Toss the apples with the lemon juice, brown and white sugars, salt, cinnamon, nutmeg and butter. Place the apple mixture in a medium frying pan and sauté over medium heat, until mixture is like jam, stirring occasionally.
- This process takes about 15 minutes. Set aside to cool. I like to prepare the apples before and refrigerate them before I bake the turnovers. Prepare a large baking sheet with parchment paper and set aside. Mix the egg and cream in a small bowl, set aside with a pastry brush.
- 4.Cut the puff pastry in half, dust with flour and roll until piece of dough in around 12" square. Cut the pastry into 4 squares and place one tablespoon of the apple mixture in the centre of each square. Brush the edges of each square with the egg and cream mixture, fold over into a triangle and seal the edges very well with a fork dusted with flour.
- Poke the turnover a couple of times and place it on the baking sheet. When you have done 8 turnovers, put the tray into the refrigerator for at least ½ an hour. Bake at 400º F for 20 minutes. Serve with your favourite ice cream and enjoy
Prep: 60 Minutes
Cook: 20 Minutes