Click to enlarge
Printable version Printable version with picture
A.L. Van Houtte
- 2 c whipping cream
- 1/2 c milk
- 1/4 c granulated sugar
- 1/2 c Van Houtte Espresso, freshly brewed
- 3 whole eggs
- 3 egg yolks
- 1/2 c brown sugar
- 2 tbsp espresso, finely ground
- In a medium saucepan, heat cream, milk, sugar and Espresso for 3 to 6 minutes; do not let boil. Remove from heat.
- In a bowl, beat together eggs and egg yolks. Gradually whisk beaten eggs into heated mixture. Cook over medium heat again for 3 minutes, stirring constantly.
- Pour entire mixture into eight 6 oz. custard cups. Place cups in a shallow oven dish. Fill dish with water to semi-immerse cups. Preheat oven to 300 F. Bake for 34 to 45 minutes or until custard sets. Remove from the dish and let stand for 1 hour.
- Sprinkle brown sugar evenly on top of each custard. Set oven to broil. Place under broiler for 2 to 3 minutes or until sugar begins to melt. Be careful not to burn. While sugar is still warm, sprinkle each custard lightly with espresso.
Makes 6 servings.