Click to enlarge
Printable version Printable version with picture
Cabane à sucre Lalande, Laurentides
- 4 lbs of white beans
- 1 cup of salted pork fat
- 2 cups of sliced onions
- 1-1/2 cups of maple syrup
- 1/2 cup of molasses
- 1-1/2 tbsp of tomato paste
- 1 tbsp of ground black pepper
- 1-1/2 tbsp of salt
- 1-1/2 tbsp of mustard powder
- 14 cups of water (approx.)
- Rinse the beans, drain, and put aside. In a large oven casserole, melt the pork fat. Add the onions and heat on medium while stirring for 2 to 3 minutes or until softened.
- Add the maple syrup, molasses, tomato paste, pepper, salt, and mustard and mix well. Add the beans and water.
- Cover and cook in a preheated oven at 250F for the entire night or cook at 350F for at least 7 hours (add water if needed).
The recipe was reproduced as such, but personally, I soak the beans for 12 hours.
You can replace the pork fat, available in most butchers' shops, by vegetable oil and a little extra salt.