Click to enlarge
Printable version Printable version with picture
A.L. Van Houtte
- 1/2 c granulated sugar
- 3 tbsp water
- A few of drops lemon juice
- 1/2 c whipping cream
- 1/4 c double strength brewed Van Houte coffee
- 1/4 tsp Van Houtte ground coffee
- 2 tsp vanilla
- 1 tsp unsalted butter
- Pinch of salt
- mango, banana and pineapple, freshly diced
- Vanilla ice cream
- Over medium heat, add sugar, water and lemon juice into a medium saucepan. Stir until sugar is dissolved. Increase heat to medium-high and bring to a boil. Using a wet pastry brush, brush down sugar crystals into liquid. Do not stir. Boil until deep caramel color, about 6 minutes. Watch carefully as it can burn easily. Remove immediately from heat.
- Stir in cream, coffee and coffee granules (be careful as mixture will bubble a lot). Return saucepan to medium heat and stir until caramel dissolves. Increase heat and boil until thickened, about 5 minutes. Stir in vanilla, butter and salt.
- To assemble sundae, put fresh fruit inthe bottom of a wine or parfait glass. Top with a scoop of ice cream, more fresh fruit and a generous drizzle of sauce.
Makes 2/3 cup.